5 Ways to Cleanse Your Home of Negative Energy
Moving into a new home can be a stressful and traumatic process at the best of times. Learning about your new neighborhood, getting your belongings there undamaged, settling the kids into a new school... the list goes on. So when you add to any negative energies left over from previous occupants, it's just one more thing you don't want to deal with. And, of course, some of the negative energy might even come from the stress and trauma of your move! So what can you do to combat these negative emanations? We've compiled a short list of five things that you can do involving purification, removing negative negativity, and restoring your home's spiritual balance.
1. Visualization Meditation
Your state of mind can have a powerful effect on your surroundings, and visualization meditation is a great way to exploit this power. The technique involves imagining a beam of white light full of healing energy from the universe entering your body and removing negativity. Once you have removed the negativity from within yourself, your positivity will flow into your home. The technique is simple, so here's a quick step-by-step guide.
- Find a comfortable place to sit on the floor at one of the lowest points of your home and sit with your spine straight.
- Breathe deeply, inhaling through your nose and exhaling through your mouth, then relax into a natural, even breathing pattern.
- Think about your third eye, the space between your eyebrows. This is also known as the Ajna chakra and is associated with light and healing. Imagine a bright, white light coming down through the top of your head (the crown chakra associated with thought and intellect) and filling your third eye. The light will fill your face and brow, cleansing negativity and spreading a feeling of warmth and well-being.
- Now imagine this feeling of well-being spreading through the rest of your body in a wave of purification removing negativity and pushing away pain and stress.
- Allow the light to flow out through the soles of your feet, carrying away negative energy with it and carrying light and warmth into your home.
- After pausing for a few minutes to feel the peace and relaxation that have spread through your body, concentrate on your breathing again. Take a few deep breaths — in through the nose and out through the mouth — and open your eyes.
2. Burning Incense and Herbs
Many cultures have traditions of burning incense and herbs to cleanse negativity from home. Although the Native American practice of smudging has become popular in recent years, this is just one way of using herbs and incense and can be seen as culturally insensitive, especially if the sage used is not ethically sourced. Instead, you could take the time to discover the practices of your cultural roots. For example, Celtic peoples historically used pine or juniper in a technique known as saining to purify their homes, which is similar to smudging. Roman Catholic priests also burn incense for certain rituals. There is lots of room for exploration in this area, which can also bring its own kind of relaxation and cleansing. Our Purification Incense, for example, includes an array of herbal ingredients such as eucalyptus, valerian, fennel seeds, lemon, hyssop, and camphor mixed into a sandalwood base powder.
3. Crystal Cleansing
Crystals are well known to have properties that can help with healing and cleansing the body, but they're also pretty good for cleansing your home of negative energy. Crystals appear in wide varieties, and each has a particular use. Here's a breakdown of how some can be used for purification and removing negativity from your home:
- Amethyst has calming and protective properties. Placed centrally in your home, it can soak up those negative energies.
- Black tourmaline, onyx, and smoky quartz can be used to ground energies and cleanse negativity.
- Selenite is excellent for adding positive energy. Placed on a windowsill, it will absorb light and pour peaceful energy into your home.
It's worth noting that crystals hold onto the energies around them, so it's a good idea to cleanse them occasionally. You can do this by placing them in salt water, bathing in the moonlight, or smudging them with cleansing herbs like lavender or lemongrass.
4. Cleansing Baths
Immersion in water to cleanse away more than dust, sweat and dirt is a tradition that goes back thousands of years of human history. If your home is afflicted with negative energy, you can start to clear that way by using a cleansing bath to clear your mind and spirit to allow your own peaceful energy to purify your home.
There are just a few ingredients you need for a spiritual cleansing bath. First, add some salt to the warm water. Himalayan or sea salt is best, but any will do in a pinch. Then add some essential oils, such as lavender or whatever you find most soothing. Next, add some fresh flower petals, such as rose, chamomile, or sunflowers, before finally adding some cleansing crystals around the edges of your bath. Once you have all that arranged, climb into your bath and relax for 30 minutes or so. To make your own Purification Bath Salts, mix rosemary, eucalyptus, and basil leaves with a cup of Epsom salt. Add six drops of lemon and eucalyptus essential oils.
5. Essential Oils
The cleansing odors of incense or burning herbs are significant but may cause breathing difficulties or irritation for some. If this applies to you, you can use essential oils to add a calming smell and clear away that negative energy. Essential oils can be used in diffusers, aromatherapy humidifiers, or oil burners, and there are several that can help with purification and removing negativity. Lavender, lemon, peppermint, or rosemary oils are all excellent options, but you may find others that suit you just as well.
The Benefits of Removing Negativity From Your Home
These five methods are all excellent ways of purification and removing negativity from your home, and you can benefit from using any combination. Once your house is clear of negativity, you will notice a few improvements, including:
- Improved creativity
- A heightened sense of peace and calm in your home
- Lower stress levels for you, your family, and even your pets
- Improved emotional stability
- An increase in your ability to focus
- Lower anxiety levels